2016 Hope Through Learning Award Winners
On Thursday, July 21, HCEF honored five inspiring young people with the 2016 Hope Through Learning Award. We celebrated these college-bound recipients with a ceremony at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
The Hope Through Learning Award is a financial award available to young people who have persevered against homelessness and are applying to post-secondary education programs. Recipients can use their award for tuition, school-related expenses such as books or a computer, or living expenses, such as transportation, child care, or housing.
We are excited to introduce you to this year’s awardees:
- Michael graduated from Harari College Worldwide and was accepted to study education and political science at Dartmouth.
- Camille graduated from Imani Christian Academy and was accepted to Ohio University to study mechanical engineering.
- Dakira graduated from North Hills Senior High School and was accepted to Temple University to study biochemistry. She eventually wants to attend medical school at Duke.
- Khai graduated from Pittsburgh Science Technology Academy and was accepted to Siena Heights University to study physical therapy.
- Mircalene graduated from Obama Academy of International Studies and was accepted to CCAC to study nursing. She eventually wants to become a physician’s assistant.